Friday, January 7, 2011

New Year, New Terrain: Microform Buildings

...and a very Happy New Year to all you Lead Doesn't Bleed readers (all two dozen of you)!

I took a brief end-of-the-year sabatical in order to attend conferences and grade papers, so this will be the first post of the new year.

Lucky, lucky me: Da Wife bought me a passel of Microform 1/100 buildings for Christmas and they've arrived today!

As most readers of this blogknow, I generally play in 1/700 (or 3mm) scale, so I've wanted some appropriate buildings for quite some time now. Up to now, I've been using PicoArmor's monopoly buildings and these are fine, but they're also a bit too big for my tastes. Like many miniatures gamers, I prefer my terrain to be one scale step down from my figs.

Enter Microform Models, a company which specializes in castings for architects. Their 1/100 scale line is set to a model scale of 1/1200, which is perfect for 2 and 3mm figures (those of you who prefer more in-scale scenery will probably perfer Microform's 1/50 or 1/60 lines for 3mm).

Here are some pictures of the castings, set next to some O8 3mm WWII tanks and infantry and Picoarmor Monopoly buildings...


....and from another angle:


And finally, here's a close-up, which should give an idea as to how these things scale against 3mm figures:



What's really nice about these castings is that they'll still mesh with Picoarmor's Monopoly hotels, which now become 4 story tall townhouses.

Great stuff!

5 comments:

  1. Oooh! those look nice - lots of quirky shapes to add variety, too - I'm officially jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! And there I thought we wouldn't hear from you again! Hope to see some more 3mm Sci-Fi goodness in the future!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great news thank you for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just getting into Pico Armour stuff and this is great to find! Being architects stuff are they expensive? I've a shed load of the Monopoly buildings from Pico just arrive and trying to figure out how best to base, paint and construct realistic towns out of them. Loving what you've done! *Commences idea stealing*

    ReplyDelete
  5. This stuff is more expensive than Monopoly buldings, that's for sure, but it's not CRIPPLINGLY expensive, as Rod Langston's beautiful stuff is.

    ReplyDelete